POSITIVE OUTCOME AFTER DOG SWALLOWED BATTERY

10 April 2017

The owners of a young cocker spaniel were tuned in to a potentially life-threatening situation after their dog swallowed a battery from the back of their TV remote.

One-year-old Meadow was rushed to Avonvale Veterinary Centre’s Warwick practice late at night after her owners realised the highly-charged animal had been chewing on the remote control.

After an initial examination, X-rays clearly showed the AAA battery in Meadow’s stomach, so Kieran O’Halloran, senior vet at Avonvale, which is part of the Linnaeus Group, acted swiftly to prevent any serious damage to the young dog.

Kieran said: “Mr Evans brought Meadow in as an emergency case, as there is a serious risk with batteries of chemical leakage causing severe internal damage to the stomach and intestines, along with the possible problem of intestinal obstruction.

“Once the X-rays confirmed the battery was in Meadow’s stomach in one piece, we induced sickness and it soon re-appeared with no harm done.”

Meadow’s owner William Evans, from Lower Quinton, Stratford, was relieved with the positive outcome and admitted the family’s young pet has previous form of trying to eat anything in sight.

He said: “Fittingly enough, my wife and I were watching The Supervet on TV when my wife realised Meadow was chewing on something. It dawned on us she had a battery from the back of the remote, so we rang Avonvale straightaway and took her to the emergency Warwick surgery.

“She’s a typical cocker spaniel and goes after everything. She’s had my daughter’s sock before and there was one time when she had three Yorkshire puddings which were out in the kitchen!

“Kieran at Avonvale was as good as gold and soon sorted her out. I slept alongside her the following night as she had been given medication but she is absolutely fine now we are happy to report.”

To find out more about Avonvale Veterinary Centres, which is part of the Linnaeus Group and has surgeries in Warwick, Stratford, Leamington, Kenilworth, Southam and Wellesbourne, visit www.avonvets.co.uk.